A funeral at Obuasi in the Ashanti Region, turned violent on Saturday (29 Saturday) after a firearm was discharged, injuring Nana Okofo Kwabena Bonsu, the Adanse Dompoasehene.
Police quickly arrested a 30-year-old man, Nana Yaw Dankwa, who is assisting with investigation
The injured chief received medical care and has since been discharged.
Dr Frank Amoakohene, Ashanti Regional Minister, said the incident highlights the importance of the temporary ban on firearms at funerals and traditional gatherings.
“The directive remains a vital public safety measure designed to protect lives, prevent injuries, and ensure that community events are conducted in a peaceful and dignified atmosphere,” he said.
He urged the public to remain calm and cooperate with security agencies as they carry out their duties.
The Obuasi shooting follows an earlier incident in July, when the Kusasi Chief in Asawase, Abdul-Malik Azenbe, was shot and killed at his home by unknown assailants.
Eyewitnesses said two men on a motorbike, one armed with an AK-47, opened fire before fleeing. Azenbe, who had been enskinned as Kadi Naaba only three months earlier, was pronounced dead at Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital.
State security visited the family of the late Kusasi Chief and assured them of a thorough investigation.
The culprits are yet to be arrested.
Source




